Why do you need renter insurance? I have been asked that question by many over the years. To be honest, I have had the same question myself from time to time. I have always just bought a renter insurance policy because I was told it was a good thing to do.
Well in mid-January I went back to my home town to spend a couple of days with my family. For those of you who live or are stationed in the Great Plains and Upper Midwest, you may remember the terrible winds that that occurred for several days around that time. Well couple the winds with a dry winter and you have the potential for a devastating fire. Unfortunately, that is exactly what happened.
While I was sitting talking to my parents, we could start to smell the burning of fire wood. The problem was, my parents do not have a fire place. This was very concerning as we did not know where the smell was coming from. We went outside as fire trucks began flying by our house and setting up about a block away. As we looked over to the west, we could see the orange hue of a fire just down the hill form the neighborhood. An apartment complex had caught fire. In an instant a regular Thursday evening went from families cooking dinner and settling in for the night to literally everyone running for their lives to get out of a burning building. With wind gusts up to 70 mph, it looked very awful and scary for everyone involved.
Luckily nobody was physically injured and everyone was able to evacuate the building. However the same could not be said for the residents’ belongings. Everything was gone for these families. The only things they had left was the clothes on their back and what they could carry out of their apartment. It was truly devastating. In that instant, I immediately knew the value and importance of purchasing renter insurance.
Many of the families who were affected by the fire did not have a renter insurance policy in place for events such as this. No money for new clothes, food, or a place to stay. Thankfully many of the churches opened up their buildings to the families and the citizens helped with food and clothes donations to get the families through the first few days after the fire. But what was next for them? Would they have enough money to rebuild their lives and replace what was lost?
Because of this event, I reached out to my friends at Armed Forces Insurance who have been helping to protect military families’ property from this very situation for over 130 years. Below is some of the information they were able to provide on the importance of obtaining renter insurance to help protect you and your family in the event something like a fire occurs to your family’s home.
Why Renter Insurance is Important
- Protect – Renter insurance is designed to protect your family and your belongings from some of life’s most unexpected events. A renter insurance policy will cover your personal property against:
- Fire and Lightening
- Damage by Aircraft of Vehicle
- Smoke Damage
- And More…….
With a renter policy from AFI, you can even add extra coverage for property damage that may result from:
- Mysterious Disappearance.
- Replace – Renter insurance is designed to help you pick up where you left off. Whether your property was stolen, lost in a fire, or taken away by a tornado, a renter policy is there to replace those items that were destroyed in the claim. A policy from AFI will even cover your property if it just happens to disappear.
- Financial Security – Renter insurance also includes liability coverage to protect your assets and your future income. From accidently burning down the home you are living in to your dog biting someone who comes to your door. A renter policy can protect you from the financial hardships that can occur if another person is injured or there is damage to their property. from the financial hardships that come
- Moving – Renter insurance will cover you where you live, but what if you are moving across town, across the state, across the country, or across the world? Most renter insurance will only protect you at the location where you live. A renter policy from AFI is different. AFI does not see an address, they see a family. Because their insurance was created by military members, for military members, their coverage will cover your belongings anywhere in the world.
An AFI policy will also help you in the event there are issues with a PCS move. AFI has helped military families recover from everything form the moving truck lighting on fire to only ½ of a sectional couch arriving at the new home location.
- Money to Live – A renter policy will help provide extra funds for you to live if you are forced from your home due to a claim. That means money for food, lodging, and other necessities while you start to put your life back together. No need to bunk at a friend’s house or sleep on the floor of a church or community center.
- Required? – The housing complex, landlord, or privatized housing office may require that you purchase and maintain renter insurance coverage as a condition of the lease.
- Affordable – Renter policies are very inexpensive. Policy prices can vary but you can often find your self-protected for just $10 to $20/per month.
We never know when or where life’s most unexpected moments will occur. Will you be prepared when they do? Why take a chance. Be prepared and avoid being like the families who have to wait for help when tragedy strikes. For just a few dollars a month, you can obtain financial security and peace of mind to cover whatever life has instore for you.
I hope you have found this information on renter insurance informative. My friends at Armed Forces Insurance are happy and eager to answer any of your questions you may have on renter insurance. For a more information on renter insurance or other insurance topics, head over to Armed Forces Insurance – Resources and Tools page to learn more.
As a military family, you need insurance that matches your needs and protects what you value most. You deserve an insurance company that is committed to serving you. MilHousing Network is proud to partner with Armed Forces Insurance to bring military families reliable homeowner’s insurance options when buying a home. Contact them today at 800-313-1936 or visit www.afi.org/milhousing to learn how they can support your unique military lifestyle.