PCSing is an overwhelming and stressful time in a military life. You’re heading to places you’ve probably never been and trying to navigate a sea of paperwork and policies that seem to change every day. So even if you’ve PCSed before, things might be completely different this time around. To help you make this PCS season easier, I’ve put together a list of resources both physical and digital that were designed to help you #PCSBetter.
Plan My Move
Plan My Move is a Department of Defense relocation tool that connects you with moving resources to help ensure a smooth move.
- Access information about your entitlements and benefits.
- Learn about points of contacts, checklists, planning tools and information on education and employment.
- Compare the cost of living and other statistics between communities.
- Use the home values tool to research real estate prices and trends.
MilitaryINSTALLATIONS provides contact information for programs and services, maps, and directions, links to comprehensive location overviews and community points of interest for military installations worldwide.
OCONUS Moves is a great resource for those heading overseas.
Move.mil is the Department of Defense’s global website for managing your move.
- Learn about your moving allowances, schedule your household goods shipment and unaccompanied baggage, track your shipment, and file claims, if necessary.
- The Weight Allowance Table details weight allowances by grade and dependent status.
- The Weight Estimator assists in estimating the total weight of your shipments so that you are not stuck with a penalty fee if you go over the limit.
HOMES.mil is a service designed to connect service members and their families with community housing rental listings located near U.S. military bases.
- Find contact information with your current or prospective housing office.
- You can also list your own rental properties.
For more help, make sure to check out your local base offices like Finance, Housing, and Transportation Office.