Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on the Military Spouse Advocacy Network website.
On average in a month, how much time do you devote to doing something you love? What does your overall wellbeing look like when you have the time to do your activity versus when you do not? Studies have shown that engaging in a hobby for even two hours a week can significantly improve your mental wellbeing! (BMC Public Health)
Hobbies can take many different forms. Despite your hobby of choice, all people with consistent hobbies have a few things in common: they enjoy what they do which makes putting in the time, effort, and energy a breeze. Here are 3 hobbies to get you started and assist you in discovering what you love!
They say you get a euphoria after running, right? Getting routine physical activity is a great way to meet people, but also helps you to manage your mental wellbeing. Here are some ideas to help you enjoy physical activity as a hobby:
- Check out your surrounding city’s website. Did you know they have seasonal adult sports for most major cities?
- Check out the website for your installation! Many bases have co-ed adult sports teams.
- The gym is a great place to get some physical activity in!
- Walk around your neighborhood to explore with your spouse.
- Yoga can keep your mind, body, and spirit strong.
- Check out your installation’s Facebook pages for mommy walk groups, sporting events and more!
Do you know someone that is amazing at all things DIY? Artistic expression is another hobby type that builds skill and keeps your mind fresh. Here are some hobby ideas if you prefer the arts:
- Mindfulness activities: coloring, yoga, writing, etc.
- Sewing, crocheting, knitting, etc.
- Woodworking, furniture renovations, etc.
- Photography and digital creation
Do you enjoy helping other people? Volunteering is not only a great way to assist people in your area, but also helps you grow your network. As a military spouse, there are many organizations you can get involved with, such as:
- Here at MSAN, we love our volunteers! We strive to help the military spouse community in any way we can. Check out our New Military Spouse Mentoring and Resource center here, and find information on our new Military Spouse Support Program, Traineeship Program, Forum, and more!
- Support your local military and their families with the USO. The USO provides an array of support activities including holiday parties, cheering at homecomings and social events, and more. Check out their volunteer hub here.
- Check out the page for your local installation. Many bases provide an array of volunteer opportunities both on the base and in the surrounding area.
Happy hobby finding!
The Military Spouse Advocacy Network (MSAN) has a mission to create stronger military families through education, empowerment, and support. MilHousing Network is proud to work in partnership with MSAN to help military families PCS better. To learn how MSAN can support you visit https://www.militaryspouseadvocacynetwork.org/.