In All, Community

I remember it like it was yesterday. Spring was in full swing, the days were getting warmer. I
was sitting in my desk my senior year of high school suffering through a lecture about
Chemistry, Math, or some other subject that I really did not care about. Why? It was not
because I was a bad student or did not like the teacher. It was because I had senioritis. My mind
was not on where I was at, but where I was going. For me, freedom was right around the corner.
A summer of friends, fun, beach, and then college. Oh the thoughts of how great it would be to
be an adult, to stay out as late as I wanted without anyone telling me where I needed to be or
what I needed to do.

I am sure many of you reading this thought the same as I did back then. Not a care in the world.
I thought I was an adult, but I had no idea what that truly meant. The rights and responsibilities
that came with that. So many life choices that I needed help with. One of those items was
insurance. Did I need my own auto policy or could I stay on my parent’s policy? What about
renter insurance to cover my items when I moved away? Surely I did not own enough things for
that. Or did I? Thankfully my parents were there to help guide me through that process. They
reached out and got the answers and coverages I needed to make sure I was protected when I
moved away from home.

Well, many families, including military families, have children in this same situation. They are
getting ready to go to school, boot camp, or they are moving out to start working on their
careers. Just like me, they need help with these grown up topics, including insurance. Many
parents are often not aware of the choices they have to protect their children and their
belongings as they transition from child to adult. That is why it is important to have the right
information to help your child and protect the both of you as they transition out of the home.

Our friends at Armed Forces Insurance are dedicated to helping military family in all situations,
including helping you and your child protect their belongings and other unfortunate incidents that
can occur in life. Below is some information regarding what you need to know for your older
teenage children:

Car Insurance

Your child takes a car to school

– Depending on where your child is going to school or live in another location, you will
want to talk to your agent to let them know where the car will be located. Each insurance
company may have different requirements or pricing depending on where they are at
and if they will be working, going to school, or entering the military.

Your child leaves the car at home

– It is a good idea to keep them on your auto policy as a driver. That way they will be able
to drive your car’s when they come home to visit.

Auto Discounts for Children

– Dean’s List/Honor Roll – If your child is on the honor roll or Dean’s list in high school or
college, there is a good chance your auto insurance company will give you a discount.
Just get your child’s report card or college transcript and call your insurance agent.

– Drivers Education – Some insurance companies may also give a discount for your child
having taken drivers education.

– Student Away at School/Distant Driver – If your child is at school more than 75 to 100
miles away from your home, on your insurance policy, and did not take a car with them,
there is an opportunity for a Distant Driver discount. Many insurance companies will no
longer consider the child as a daily driver of the vehicles and may lower your insurance
rates accordingly.

Home or Renter Insurance

Your child living in the dorms or other on campus housing

– If your child is below the age of 24, you may have a choice. Many home insurance
policies will cover your child’s belongings while they live in a dorm but there will be
limitations and any loss will be subject to your home insurance deductible. Talk to your
insurance agent to make sure you have enough coverage.

– If your home insurance policy does not have enough coverage for your school age child,
they can always get a separate renter insurance policy to protect against theft, fire, and
other potential losses. The advantage to this is that you can customize this policy to fit
your child’s coverage needs and a separate policy will keep any unwanted claims from
affecting your home insurance policy.

– Electronics coverage – Theft and having your child’s computer or electronics fall off a
desk and break is one of the most common claims that occur to college age students.
Some policies may provide extra coverage for computer and laptops. Ask your agent if
your home or renter policy has extra protection against lost, stolen or broken electronics.

If your child lives off campus or is not going to school and lives away from home

– There is a good chance your child will not be covered by your current homeowner policy
and your child will need to get a separate policy of their own. Check with your insurance
agent about covering your child if they will be living in their own home or apartment.

I know it may not seem like it, but the start of a new adventure for your child is just a short few
months away. I encourage all of you to make sure you are prepared and have the best
information available to help protect your child. Reach out to your insurance agent and make
sure everyone is properly protected.

Those are just a few tips from Armed Forces Insurance regarding insurance information for your
school aged child. For a more tips on this and other topics, head over to Armed Forces
Insurance – Resources and Tools page.

As a military family, you need insurance that matches your needs and protects what you value
most. You deserve an insurance company that is committed to serving you. MilHousing Network
is proud to partner with Armed Forces Insurance to bring military families reliable homeowner’s
insurance options when buying a home. Contact them today at 800-313-1936 or visit to learn how they can support your unique military lifestyle.



Recent Posts

Leave a Comment

Start typing and press Enter to search