If you’ve PCSed before, you know what it can take a while to really feel truly at home once you reach your location. As someone who’s PCSed and often moved from place to place often even before the military, I know it can be really hard to get into the rhythm. If you have a PCS coming up you might be looking for ideas on how to fast track your settling in.
We’ve put together a few ideas to help you get there.
14 Ways to Feel More At Home After You PCS
- Bring in familiar scents to fill your home with comfort
- Unpack quickly
- Get outside
- Make a meal you love
- Visit the types of places you enjoy
- Try something new
- Make a game of decorating
- Have a movie marathon
- Join a club (or start your own)
- Invite friends or family to visit (and help unpack)
- Try out some new restaurants and create your “locals”
- Visit the tourist sites
- Go to the dog park
- Scope out the town and local area to familiarize yourself with street names and buildings
While these ideas might help you feel more at home at your new duty station, remember, it will take time. Before you know it, you will be settled in at home, and comfortable again. But there’s no shame in giving yourself this time to feel out of wack.
If you have a PCS coming up, check out our Facebook groups to help with your transition before you arrive. Don’t be afraid to ask questions of the other spouses who know exactly what you’re going through and have been at this location for a while. They can point you in the right direction so when you arrive you will hopefully has a less difficult transition.